Three Tips To Help You Deal With A Multicultural Marriage And Children

With societies today becoming increasingly global, multicultural marriages are also increasing. There can be many complications with marriage across borders, which includes things like visas, documents and paperwork. If you have children, there are more challenges with documenting births, citizenships and financial investments. If you are in a multicultural relationship and planning on having children, here are some tips that you may want to consider:   

1.  Registering Births At Embassies And Consulate Offices

If you plan on having a baby or if you are expecting, one thing to remember is to register the birth. This can be done at consulate and embassy offices near you. This is a certificate that states that a child was born to a citizen of the other country. It does not mean dual citizenship automatically. In some cases, dual citizenship may not be recognized in one country. In these cases, having the birth documentation can give your child a choice of residence when they become adults. It can also be good to have if you plan on changing your country of residence in the future.

2. Deciding On The Benefits Of Dual Citizenship Or Waiting

There are many benefits to having dual citizenship. Not all is roses, though, and you may want to consider some of the disadvantages. Having dual citizenship can mean double taxation or being subject to the laws of both countries. This is why it may be a good idea to wait for dual citizenship or let your child decide when they become an adult. If you plan on living in one country through your child's adolescence, it may be a good idea to just have the citizenship in your main country of residence.

3. Making Financial Investments For College And Education

There is also the issue of finances when you have a child with dual nationalities. You may want to have your child go to a private school or have a college fund for them. Investing in different countries can subject you or your child to the different tax laws in different countries. You will want to look closely at your child's education and plan for not only the cost of tuitions, as well as tax costs like capital gains taxes. This can, of course, be avoided by making all your investments in one country, but may not always be possible.    

These are some tips that you may want to consider for marriages of dual nationalities with children. If you need help with the legal paperwork and deciding what is best for your family, contact a family lawyer (such as one from LaCroix & Hand PC) to get the counseling you need.